Priscilla got #1. Here is number two which is harder. I reworded it to
narrow the focus. This is not about Cisco IOS. (tricky arp caches and
timeouts, nat, proxy arp ect...). It is PCs and hubs mainly, and routers and
switches just in the basic sense that routers separates broadcast domains
and switches separate collision domains. But, I removed switches and hubs
anyway.

Challenge # 2 reworded.
#2. A PC host receives a frame intended for tcp protocol in transport layer
(i.e. no upper layer data). Layer 3 drops it. No switches, no routers. No
arp cache timeouts/issues. PCs and hubs only. Real or not? If not, list the
critical issue? If real, list an exception?

> Is this question a treat or a trick? :-) I'm sure you have something
> trickier in mind than what I came up with,

No, it is not about tricks. Just good ole OSI, cables, and hubs. I modified
the question to remove routers completely to better focus it. I remember
reading recently a very long thread about somebody using an rj-45 splitter
and asking what the implications are versus a hub/switch. I throughly
enjoyed the resulting thread. This is meant along the same lines. My
original challenge had 4 questions, all the same form... a packet is dropped
at layer 3 destined for a specified protocol, describe how. I thought
posting all at once would be too much, so broke it down but wording is the
same and has a nice appeal. CG