Ok, thanks for the reply Jason. I think the example I gave was confusing me,
sometimes these books don't use the best example.

In the example I gave then am I to assume that this is NOT conserving IP
addresses but simply an efficient way of reducing entries in routing tables?
The examples you gave demonstrate this more but in the one I put forward
(pulling the bits to the left) 8 Class C networks have been given away
whichever way you look at it.

So this company could have been allocated either:
200.100.48.0/24
200.100.49.0/24
thru to
200.100.55.0/24

Or they could be allocated 200.100.48.0/21, it's the same thing but just one
entry is needed on their 'border' router and others with routes to their
network?

James.