Hmm...okay. How old is this book?  They are using 'Network boundary' to
refer to the classful major network supernet.

I'm still confused by their use of NIC number and that's because they
are NOT referring to the Network Interface Card like most of us would
expect.  They appear to be referring to an allocated network prefix from
the Network Information Center which, as far as I know, isn't around
anymore.  You get allocations from ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC now.  So,
knowing that, let me translate:

"BGP-4 and EIGRP summarize at the major classful network boundary
automatically.  [This behavior can be disabled by use the 'no
auto-summary' command.]  Summarization to a non-classful boundary must
be done manually."

Regards,
John

>>> "James Gosnold"  11/4/02 12:21:45 PM >>>
Hi John,

I always thought of the NIC number as the MAC address of a Network
card!

Here are a couple of quotes from the Cisco Press book I am reading to
show
the context in which they use the terms:

"BGP-4 and EIGRP summarizes at the network boundary automatically.
Summarization within the NIC number boundary must be configured
manually."

Then when talking about the characteristics of a classless routing
protocol:

"Some routes can be summarized within the major NIC number. This is
done
manually."

Confused? I am!

Regards, James.