Cable Guy wrote:

> I am trying to clear arp-cache in IOS 12.1 and get unexpected results.
Below
> you see debug arp turned on, the current arp cache, then the clear command.
> Immediately, the router sends out arp requests for the entries that were in
> the cache.
>
> Why does the router immediately send arp requests when I attempt to clear
> the cache? I would think it would wait till a need arose to send the
> appropriate arp request, afterall, I do want to clear the cache? Is there
> some way to prevent this?
>
> Further, looking at the debug #1 and 2, why is the arp request being sent
> with target MAC address? This is more confusing. Why bother arping if it
> knows the target MAC address? I can only think Cisco is saving some
> bandwidth here.

The "clear arp" command has always been a misnomer.  It more properly
should be "refresh arp" because that's what it does.  That's why it
unicasts the ARP requests, to check if they're still valid, if the
target is still there.

> And a bigger question, why is the router sending itself an ARP...packet
> number 3 below. Is it some sort of security measure? Does it do this at
> startup too?

The router is testing for a duplicate IP address.  Hopes it doesn't get a
reply.
Yes, it does that any time the interface changes state to up, or the IP is
changed.

The only way I know to truly clear the arp entries associated with an
interface is to shut/no shut that interface.

- Marty