Tom Martin wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I believe that your diagram should reflect R1's serial interface to R2
> as s0/1 instead of s0/0.  This caused me some confusion in trying to
> figure out the configs.  Actually, there is still some confusion given

Sorry for that - this was copy-pasting error (there's a whole bunch of
other stuff running on the routers, I had to filter these out). The
addressess are unique, obviously - if they were'nt then the router would
drop (as unroutable) the packet with src_IP equal to IP of one of its
interfaces - so the RIP update would have got no chance to enter the RIP
process.

> You make a strong argument that a more logical interpretation would be
> to use the local IP address 172.16.66.1/25 to interpret the route since
> it is the only IP address that is on the same subnet as the sending
> router (since the other IPs configured on the link should, based on
> normal IP rules, require another router to communicate with the sender).
>   All documentation I've come across and configuration I have done
> indicates that the receiving router validates the update based on major
> network only, and then uses the mask of the locally configured address
> of that network to interpret the incoming networks.  So, technically,
> interpreting the route as 172.16.77.0/29 isn't "wrong" -- it's just one
> of 3 possible ways of interpreting the advertised network.

That's correct - all choices, according to many written sources, are
perfectly correct. But the router has to break a tie - in this case
longest subnet mask was chosen. I'm still curious if this behaviour is
defined somewhere or this is Cisco-feature IOS-dependent one.

For reference: below is an algorithm, hopefully complete, for classfull
processing of RIP updates compiled by me from various sources and
documents including Doyle and Zinin. I had to add 'longest' to
'apply_mask_of_incoming_interface' based on results of testing this issue.

  Receiving (update):
     if (major net of update the same as of incoming interface ?)
     {
       NO:
       if (any subnets of major net of update already exist in route
      table known from other interfaces ?)
       {
         YES: discard( update );
             exit();
         NO: apply_classfull_mask( update );
            populate_rt( update );
            exit();
       }
       YES:
       if (there are any bits in host portion)
       {
         NO: apply_longest_mask_of_incoming_interface( update );

populate_rt( update );
            exit();
         YES: apply_32_mask( update );
             populate_rt( update );
             exit();
       }
     }

   Sending (update):
     if (subnet of update in the same major net as outgoing interface)
     {
       YES: if (subnet mask is the same as subnet mask of sending

interface ?)
       {
         NO: if (the update is a host route ?)
         {
           YES: send( update );
               exit();
           NO: discard( update );
              exit();
         }
         YES: send( update );
             exit();
       }
       NO: summarize_classfull( update );
          send( update );
          exit();
     }

> I'm curious as to whether your configuration works at all given the
> next-hop address (172.16.66.1) is also a valid IP address on R2.  Are
> you able to ping 172.16.200.1 from R2?  It seems to me that R2 should be

It will drop packet as unroutable.

robert,