I have Site A which acts as a host for incoming fiber connections from
Site’s B,C, and D. All 4 sites are on different subnets. At Site A a
Catalyst 3550G with 12 available fiber GBIC connections is what the 3
incoming sites B,C, and D connect to on GBIC interfaces 1,2, and 3,
respectively.. The 3550G also has two Ethernet ports on it, one which has a
crossover to a Catalyst 3548 switch, which feeds the local LAN users at Site
A itself.

Interface GBIC 4 on the 3550G has a fiber link connecting to Site E, which
is then routed over ATM. So basically the 3550 at Site A routes traffic
between itself and the B,C, and D sites and over to Site E.  Site E is
actually our core router site (Cisco 3540) but Site A was chosen to hosts
the other 3 sites (B,C,and D) due to logistics.

Now what I need to do back at Site A is segment the local LAN on the 3548
switch into two vlans. Both vlans need to pass traffic across the network.
Remember one port on the 3548 has a crossover to the 3550G switch. The 3550G
is not set up with vlans. If I break the ports on the 3548 to the vlan’s I
want, I assume I set the crossover port to be a trunk? And if so, do I need
to setup the other end of the crossover on the 3550 with any vlan’s or
trunking??? No other subnets will be broken into vlan’s so I want to make
sure any change I may have to make on the 3550 to support the local vlans on
the 3548 do not hinder traffic flow to and from the other sites interfaces
on the 3550. Am I over complicating this setup? I know my description
probably is confusing. I guess in simple terms I just need to make sure how
I set up vlans on the local Site A without affecting the other sites that
Site A supports?