Thanks.  So the removal of a BGP route from the routing table will not
cause the BGP process to be tickled to run and possibly re-insert a new
route for N1, N2, .. Nk through R2?

Does the "no sync" apply here?  The book examples always mention "no
sync"
in conjunction with eBGP and sending advertisements.  Here it's iBGP and
when to re-evaluate putting routes into the routing table.

It would seem that load balancing, if possible, might help.  That is, if
routes to N1 via R1 and R2 are both in the routing table, the loss of
routes
to R1 would cause those routes to be removed, but not prevent traffic
from
being forwarded to N1.

So, besides the questions above, a few more:

* Is it possible, in an iBGP configuration, to have BGP install multiple
routes to the same destination?  If so, how is this done so that loops
do not ocurr in the hops towards R1 and R2?  (That is, if each
intermediate
router randomly picks R1 or R2 as the target for N1, loops might
develop)

* I've never tried, but can I use local pref in iBGP to indicate a
course
level of load balancing by network prefix destination?  I want to make
sure
that packet re-ordering is very unlikely and this seems like this would
prevent
the loop problem.  It would seem this might provide prefix load
balancing,
but does not install two routes in the routing table for N1?