Bucher Lars wrote:

> Hi Priscilla
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not in the Office right now. So I've just
> got the
> following information at the moment:
>
> IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.2(10a), RELEASE
> SOFTWARE
> (fc1)
> cisco 7204VXR (NPE400) processor (revision A) with
> 114688K/16384K bytes of
> memory
>
> interface FastEthernet0/0
>  ip address 10.241.207.197 255.255.255.240
>  no ip redirects
>  no ip proxy-arp
>  duplex full
>  speed 100
>  ntp disable
>  standby 1 ip 10.241.207.196
>  standby 1 preempt
>  standby 1 track ATM2/0.2010
>
> arp 10.241.207.193 0100.5e7c.0006 ARPA
>
> Otherwise, there's no special configuration.
>
> The static arp entry is needed for the stonebeat solution.

Yes, I've heard of this kludge. ;-)

> As
> you see, it's
> just at Layer2 a multicast. At Layer 3 there's just Unicast.

Are you sure these aren't Layer 3 mutlicasts also? It's in the range of
multicast addresses reserved by IP Multicast. Regardless I stick to my
comment that a "normal" router wouldn't forward these. It would have to be
running ICMP and an IP multicast routing protocol. Of course, that's sort of
normal too, but not default behavior.

> know it
> sounds silly, but that's the way stonebeat implements its
> cluster solution.
>
> The interesting thing is, that in the LAN I have two other 7200
> Routers with
> the same config but with NPE 300 Processor board and IOS
> 12.2(4).
> Those 2 Routers don't replicate the traffic.

That's good. It confirms my belief that the behavior of the other router is
odd.

> The same behaviour has been reported by others as well. If you
> do a search
> for 'stonebeat' or 'multicast storm' on Cisco's 'Networking
> Professionals
> Connection' you can find those. It seems to be a general
> problem with some
> Cisco routers, not a Configuration Problem. That's why I was
> looking for a
> 'filter-solution.

Did the other person's response solve the problem for you? The one that
talked abou IRB.

Also, didn't we discuss this just a few days ago? Someone sent a URL that
discussed something similar. Let's see if I can find the URL again....

Oh, I found it. It has to do with routers not sending multicast when they
should! But it might have some hints for you. It's here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223136

Wish I had more targetted advice for you! Anyone else want to help?

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you figure out. Thanks.

Priscilla