OK, I'll admit this is a real-life problem, not strictly a study question.
I have a couple of OSPF adjacencies that refuse to start up.  Just to make
this entertaining, these are not router to router - they are Cisco to
mainframe, over a CIP.
Five IP stacks neighbour the router - two are OK, three get stuck in
EXSTART/EXCHANGE.  The five IP stacks also connect to a different router,
and these adjacencies are fine.
It looks to me like the classic MTU mismatch symptoms, but a printout of the
m/f definitions shows the MTUs to be 4096, as does "show int" on the
router.  I'll get the m/f guru to check the definitions for white space - I
don't know if that will affect it.  There have been various m/f changes
lately (and a couple of router ones) errors may have crept into the configs.

What has me baffled is some of the debug output from the router (debug ip
ospf events).

Nov 14 11:51:14.121 ESuT: OSPF: Rcv DBD from x.x.x.x on Channel6/0 seq
0x3DCDF2DA opt 0x2 flag 0x7 len 32  mtu 0 state EXCHANGE
Nov 14 11:51:14.121 ESuT: OSPF: Send DBD to x.x.x.x on Channel6/0 seq
0x3DCDF2DA opt 0x42 flag 0x2 len 1472

The debug doco isn't particularly detailed for this command, but I assume
opt refers to the options field.  RFC 2328 seems to think that the first two
bits of the options field should be cleared, so the value of 0x42 being sent
by the router surprises me.
Obviously the value of MTU being reported in the received DBD is also a
concern!

Other debug output indicates that the m/f sends the same DBD several times
(same seq), which the router acks, then after this is received several times
the router claims
Nov 14 11:51:20.037 ESuT: OSPF: EXCHANGE - OPTIONS/INIT not match
Nov 14 11:51:20.037 ESuT: OSPF: Bad seq received from 92.1.2.20 on Channel6/0

Is anyone aware of any other gremlins that cause similar symptoms?  Or any
other ideas?

Thanks,
JMcL