Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Peter van Oene wrote:
> > >
> > > Nov 14 11:51:14.121 ESuT: OSPF: Rcv DBD from x.x.x.x on
> > Channel6/0 seq
> > > 0x3DCDF2DA opt 0x2 flag 0x7 len 32  mtu 0 state EXCHANGE
> > > Nov 14 11:51:14.121 ESuT: OSPF: Send DBD to x.x.x.x on
> > Channel6/0 seq
> > > 0x3DCDF2DA opt 0x42 flag 0x2 len 1472
> > My money is on either the mtu mismatch (master seems confused
> > here) or
> > the multicast nature of dbd process cause folks to get
> > confused.
> >
> > Bit 2 in options is the E bit where set (0x2) means stub and
> > unset means
> > normal area.
>
> After sending my message, I did some sniffing of books and RFCs
> and packets with both EtherPeek and the NAI Sniffer and
> discovered that the OSPF Options field has been in flux over
> the years.
>
> As a former programmer, I would start with Bit 0. That's the
> low-order bit in the 2^0 place.
>
> Doyle in Routing TCP/IP, and the NAI Sniffer, call Bit 0 the T
> bit. Is is supposedly used to specify whether the router
> supports routing based on the Type of Service bits.
>
> RFC 2328 says that bit is undefined, I was glad to see.
> (Routing based on the TOS bits never panned out).
>
> Bit 1, or the bit in the 2^1 place, is the E bit. Both routers
> in this scenario are setting it.
>
> > Both agree on the stubbiness of the area, so that
> > should
> > be fine. Bit 3 is the O bit and setting it refers to ones
> > capability
> > with opaque LSAs.
>
> Calling it Bit 3 is confusing. It's in the other nibble, for
> one thing.
>
> It should be called Bit 6 and it is the Opaque (O) bit, per RFC
> 2370, as you mentioned. The Sniffer got this right. Doyle and
> EtherPeek don't mention it.
>
> This won't help JMcL (sorry) but here's how the option bits are
> defined per RFC 2370:
>
> * | O | DC | EA | N/P | MC | E | * |
>
> E-bit
> This bit describes the way AS-external-LSAs are flooded.
>
> MC-bit
> This bit describes whether IP multicast datagrams are forwarded.
>
> N/P-bit
> This bit describes the handling of Type-7 LSAs.
>
> DC-bit
> This bit describes the router's handling of demand circuits.
>
> EA-bit
> This bit describes the router's willingness to receive and
> forward External-Attributes-LSAs.
>
> O-bit
> This bit describes the router's willingness to receive and
> forward Opaque-LSAs.

It does help, in that I can pretty much disregard the 0x42 options field as
a problem.

> Sorry if this was a BIT to bit-picky. ;-)
>
> I agree with Peter that MTU seems the suspicious issue. Of
> course, MTU should have different values depending on which
> layer you are referring to and it's hard to know what one
> specific configuration for a particular implementation (like on
> the mainframe) expects, so this could certainly be an area for
> concern.
>
> Let us know what you find out JMcL. Thanks.

Will do - I have passed on various suggestions to the mainframe guru who is
dealing with it (including the possibility of it being a multipoint issue),
but she is dealing with another couple of things as well so this probably
won't get a quick resolution (it's not causing a problem until something
else breaks ;-)
I think it is probably not mismatched MTUs in the sense of a simple
configuration incompatability, because there are working adjacencies which
use the same value as the non-working ones (and the same value as on the
router).  But I think it probably is MTU somehow - perhaps a flow-on effect
from another part of the config is affecting the value actually used.

JMcL