To abort a ping, you can just do ctrl-shift-6, as you suspected. I think it
sends a Break. It's a good way to stop many annoying things, like when you
make a typo and the router thinks you've typed a hostname and tries to
Telnet to it. (You can also avoid that annoying behavior with the "no ip
domain-lookup" command.)

To abort a Telnet session, you need control-shift-6 followed quickly by the
x, in other words Break X.

I agree with you that sources that say you need control-shift-6-x just to
abort a ping are wrong. They've confused the two issues. If you aren't
Telnetted to another router, then it wouldn't hurt to use control-shift-6-x
to abort a ping, but if you were Telnetted, it would drop you out of the
session, back to the other router from which you came or back to a Terminal
Server or whatever.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com