Well I am a little confused by the question call me stupid :) But he can
use public or private on that link if he uses private just nat on the
pix. VPN to VPN will still work with nat in place.

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 9:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: PIX site-to-site VPN question... [7:57648]

Brunner Joseph wrote:

> You should use private addressing behind the pix and use static's from

> the /29 to map to Servers, etc. behind the pix.
>
> Why would you ever want to put public ip's behind a pix ? especially
> for a vpn ? Not cool. It makes it an easier target to spoof, as
> apposed to RFC1918 addresses.

I don't think he was suggesting using public IP addresses behind the
PIX. What addressing would you recommend for the LAN between the outside
interface of the PIX and the router, per this part of his drawing:

PIX1(outside)----(e0)R1(e1)--------INTERNET

By the way, he really did show R1 having an Ethernet interface out to
the Internet. I don't think it was a typo. In the case that came up last
week, this Ethernet than went to a wireless WAN of some sort.

Could you take another look at the question and give us some advice?
This question came up last week too and the person never got a good
answer. I would answer it myself but I'm PIX and VPN challenged (but
learning! ;-)

Priscilla