I think your confusing SPI with a "CBAC" technology. AN spi is a
uni-directional IPSEC peer transform set hash (agreement on what your using
with your IPSEC PEER).

An SPI is made in each direction to each peer. The Access-list permits
flag traffic (matched by the router) as "permitted for IPSEC".
The access-list being referenced in the "Crypto map" will make sure
the permits get applied ipsec and sent to the peer.

I think reading this simple page will clear any misconceptions or questions
you may have about IPSEC/MANUAL (NO IKE).

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/manual.shtml

And by the way, IKE is really a CONVENIENCE protocol, which was made
popular by adding autonegotiation for IPSEC PHASE 1 and added some
great security features like key management and secure key exchange
(SKEME/OAKLEY).