what I meant was from the IOS from routing blade/rp/msfc (was probably
trying to save on typing!!) when running in hybrid mode, the 6k can't see
the flash. But when upgrading from the hybrid to native it can't see the
flash until the IOS images are loaded, so when the SP changes console
ownership to the RP and enters rommon mode that's where I got stuck.

""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> I have a 6500 in both hybrid and native modes since we have customers
> doing both.  I am not sure what you mean when you say you can't see the
> RP in the cat running OS.  The RP and SP convention are particular to
> native mode.  When running catOS the "RP" is the MSFC and you
> session/switch console to it and frmm there look at it's flash.  In
> native there is no clear delineation between the two, it's one big
> router.
>

> Patrick Donlon wrote:
> >
> > I eventually worked it out. It seems that you can't see a flash card on
> RP
> > on a 6000. I'd done a lot of testing with a loaned 6500 for upgrading
from
> > Cat OS Hybrid IOS and back again, just in case. On the 65 you can see
the
> > flash and so boot from it in rommon, which is great because I can leave
my
> > old images on the bootflash. On the 6000 though, no go, so I had to
clear
> > out my bootflash and hope that I didn't have to revert back and use all
> > modem etc. Strange thing was though that I have 4 identical 6Ks, 2 with
Cat
> [...]
flash
> > card in the RP but could with the SP, the IOS ones could see it no
prob's.

> I have a 6500 in both hybrid and native modes since we have customers
> doing both.  I am not sure what you mean when you say you can't see the
> RP in the cat running OS.  The RP and SP convention are particular to
> native mode.  When running catOS the "RP" is the MSFC and you
> session/switch console to it and frmm there look at it's flash.  In
> native there is no clear delineation between the two, it's one big
> router.
>

> > I couldn't find anything on the CCO about this, maybe it's not possible
on
> > the 65 to see the flash from the RP - I don't have one to test, but my
> > documentation was (at least I thought it was before Sat') pretty
> > comprehensive on the upgrade process. I know there are issues with the
> > naming in the SP and RP and adding  sup- to the device name.
> > >From you email it looks like you can, have you tried this running
hybrid
> or
> > only native?
>
>   Again what do you mean "from the RP"?  Here is what you can do from
> the "router" in native mode.  The dir bootflash looks at the RP
> bootflash, sup-bootflash and sup-slot0 are the sup cards bootflash and
> PCMCIA card respectively.  Slot0: is identical to the sup-slot0:.  Some
> of the others must be future stuff as the don't work
>

> Native6506#dir ?
>   /all                 List all files
>   /recursive           List files recursively
>   all-filesystems      List files on all filesystems
>   bootflash:           Directory or file name
>   const_nvram:         Directory or file name
>   flash:               Directory or file name
>   null:                Directory or file name
>   nvram:               Directory or file name
>   slavebootflash:      Directory or file name
>   slaveconst_nvram:    Directory or file name
>   slavenvram:          Directory or file name
>   slavercsf:           Directory or file name
>   slaveslot0:          Directory or file name
>   slavesup-bootflash:  Directory or file name
>   slot0:               Directory or file name
>   sup-bootflash:       Directory or file name
>   sup-image:           Directory or file name
>   sup-microcode:       Directory or file name
>   sup-slot0:           Directory or file name
>   system:              Directory or file name
>

> Native6506#dir sup-image:
> %Error opening sup-image:/ (No such device)
> Native6506#Native6506#dir sup-image:
>
>   dave
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Pat
> >
> > ""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> > > What are you typing?
> > >
> > > Native6506#dir bootflash:
> > > Directory of bootflash:/
> > >
> > >     1  -rw-     7110024   Mar 29 2002 12:48:52  c6msfc2-js-mz.121-4.E1
> > >     2  -rw-     1611604   Mar 29 2002 12:49:42
c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-4.E1
> > >     3  -rw-      528259   Mar 28 2002 07:19:26
DRACO2_RM2.srec.121-4r.E