Like most networking problems it depends.  How large is your switch domain?
Are you doing End to End VLANs or Local?  How large is your STP domain now?
Will it grow larger?  Here a link I would start with
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/21.html ( stater for VTP)
then hit this one
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/lnso/cpso/gcnd_wp.htm (covers
GigE Design)
Design solutions are usually need and resource driven...as for standards
they change(some daily).  JMHO

""Newell Ryan D SrA 18 CS/SCBT""  wrote in
message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...