From: Martin Reilly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 6:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Very poor performance on Cat 6000 gigabit? [7:57695]

Here's something annoying that I came across yesterday... any clues as
to what's going wrong would be very much appreciated.

Scenario:

HP NetServers with built-in 100M NICs, based on an Intel chipset.

With the HP drivers, the performance is fine - as you'd expect from a
100M connection. With Intel drivers, nothing changes. Still fine.

Add a 1G NIC, again HP badged but with an Intel chipset (Intel
Pro/1000TX), and bind them together into a fault-tolerant set using the
Intel drivers that were priovided by HP (they don't provide HP badged
drivers for this card, though they are happy to sell it with an HP
sticker on it for twice the cost of the "Intel" card). My intention of
course is that the 1G adapter is the primary (and set so in the "teamed
adapter" settings) and the 100M would only be used as a fallback if the
1G fails.

That's where things go wrong.

With both cards connected to the same switch (long-term intention of
course is that the 100M card will connect to a standby switch) it
insists on using the 100M card, even when the 1G is set as the
"preferred primary" and the 100M is the "preferred secondary". Both
cards definitely work... if I unplug the connection to the 100M, the 1G
takes over. With only the 100M connected, it works.

Now, here's the very odd bit. You'd expect better performance from the
1G card. But no. Testing with file copies to or from another server that
has been working fine with a 1G card for a year or so (attached via
fiber to a GBIC on the supervisor card on the switch), I get several
times times better performance with the 100M NIC than I do with the 1G
(both UTP).

I've tried different cables. All are BICC GigaPlus. The 100M connection
goes through a patch panel, but I've run a 20M flylead direct from the
server to the switch for the 1G connection.

The switch is a Cisco Catalyst 6000 with the 100M connections going to
48-port 100M cards, and the 1G connections going to a 16-port 1G card.
Software, firmware, etc versions pasted below.

Seeing much worse performance from Gigabit adapters compared to 100M is
something of a disappointment, to say the least.

Any ideas?

The hardware and versions:

WS-C6006 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.2(2)
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 by Cisco Systems
NMP S/W compiled on Jun  3 2002, 18:30:10

System Bootstrap Version: 5.3(1)
System Web Interface Version: Engine Version: 5.3.4 ADP Device: Cat6000
ADP Ver0

Hardware Version: 1.0  Model: WS-C6006  Serial #: XXXXXXXXXXX

PS1  Module: WS-CAC-1300W    Serial #: XXXXXXXXXXX
PS2  Module: WS-CAC-1300W    Serial #: XXXXXXXXXXX

Mod Port Model               Serial #    Versions
--- ---- ------------------- -----------
--------------------------------------
1   2    WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE    XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 3.1
                                         Fw : 5.3(1)
                                         Fw1: 5.1(1)CSX
                                         Sw : 7.2(2)
                                         Sw1: 7.2(2)
         WS-F6K-PFC          XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 1.0
3   8    WS-X6408-GBIC       XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 2.1
                                         Fw : 4.2(0.24)VAI78
                                         Sw : 7.2(2)
4   48   WS-X6248-RJ-45      XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 1.1
                                         Fw : 4.2(0.24)VAI78
                                         Sw : 7.2(2)
5   48   WS-X6248-RJ-45      XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 1.4
                                         Fw : 5.4(2)
                                         Sw : 7.2(2)
6   16   WS-X6316-GE-TX      XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 1.3
                                         Fw : 5.4(2)
                                         Sw : 7.2(2)
15  1    WS-F6K-MSFC         XXXXXXXXXXX Hw : 1.3
                                         Fw : 12.0(7)XE1,
                                         Sw : 12.0(7)XE1,

[GroupStudy.com removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which
had a name of winmail.dat]