That is basically what I was saying in my email that he had 6 addresses
to use so I am confused why there even needs to be another solution.
Making it a lot harder than what it has to be.

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 8:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: PIX site-to-site VPN question... [7:57648]

Edward Sohn wrote:

> Perfect...
>
> very interesting, indeed.  I have long wondered about this scenario,
> and have wondered how companies are implementing their site-to-site
> VPN's
> over the internet.  so you're saying (regarding your own roll
> out), that
> your ISP assigned you two address spaces and routed your /27
> towards
> your perimeter router, right?  in any case, your scenario
> explains the
> answer to that particular example...however, new questions
> arise:
>
> (1) if i DIDN'T decide to set up a GRE over the internet, then what
> other options do i have?  would a simple NAT on the perimeter
> routers
> suffice?  this would introduce dual-NAT, and i have heard that
> dual-NATing is less-than-desired in production due to
> performance
> issues.

Double NATing doesn't sound like a good idea and shouldn't be necessary.

> (2) if i wanted to use public addressing on the outsides of the PIX's,

Public addressing on the outsides of the PIXes seems to be the
recommended approach.

> then would i have to have two address spaces, as described in your own

> scenario?

You can make your own two address spacees. Perhaps you realize that, but
I'm wondering if maybe you haven't considered it?

You can do whatever you want with the /29 the provider gave you.
Unfortunately, it's not a very big address space, but it can still be
subdivided into two networks, one for the outside interface on the
router and one for the PIX(outside)----(inside)Router LAN.

As an example, let's say the provider provided 55.55.55.0/29.

You have the following addresses:

First subnet:
55.55.55.1 (binary of last octet is 0000 0001)
55.55.55.2 (binary of last octet is 0000 0010)
55.55.55.3 (binary of last octet is 0000 0011)

Second subnet:
55.55.55.4 (binary of last octet is 0000 0100)
55.55.55.5 (binary of last octet is 0000 0101)
55.55.55.6 (binary of last octet is 0000 0110)

So do see that with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 (/30), you have two
networks? Here's the addressing you can use:

PIX(outside) = 55.55.55.1 (also used by PAT)

Router (inside) = 55.55.55.2

Possible address for something else on that LAN = 55.55.55.3

Router (outside) = 55.55.55.6

Unfortunately, some addresses get wasted on that subnet.

PIX's default route points to 55.55.55.2

Router's default route points to router at ISP.

ISP points everything that matches 55.55.55.0/29 to you.

If for some reason this wouldn't work in your particular scenario or I
over-simplified to the point of not being helpful, I apologize! Hey,
it's free consulting and you get what you pay for. :-) Keep us posted so
we can all learn. Thanks.

Priscilla

PIX1(outside)----(e0)R1(e1)-----INTERNET----(e1)R2(e0)-----(outside)PIX2