Man,

  I guess what you need to do now is to concentrate in studying. Exam
schedule you stated is very close and it's not the suitable time at all
to hesitate. Instead you need by this time encouragement, spirit,
and faith in what you are doing.

 I don't see a solid clue supporting your feeling that you will be out of
work because of downsizing - unless you got a hint from your manager to
start looking for something else -.

If not, I guess gaining such certificates would support your position a
lot at your current job and for future oppurtunities to move on. Yeah
these days are tough ones but for sure they will be gone oneday.

Bottom line is instead of wasting time hesitating, concentrate & focus
such that you don't regret later about it.

I have read other colleagues feedback too about your query and I see
everyone of them has good point of view too like -nrf - so basically you
got our feedback, think about it and make your mind fast in order not to
waste much time.

HTH,

Yasser

> > Hi Everyone, > > > > My CCIE R&S lab is scheduled for December 2002
and Security is scheduled > > > > for January 2003. As the exam is
approaching fast, I am beginning to >wonder > > > > whether it is worth
it to pursue the certification for several reasons. >Let me > > > >
explain > > > > 1) I just graduate with a Master degree in Computer
Engineering at a > > > > university in the East Coast. I've been in the
networking field for the >past > > > > 20 months. I am currently working
for a fortune 500 company as a > > > > network engineer. The pay is OK;
however, the company is looking > > > > to downsize within the next
couple of months. I think I will be > > > > out of work in the next
couple of months. I've been looking for work > > > > for the past three
months. At the moment, the job market is not that >great > > > > and I've
been having problem finding work. Last week I get an a job > > > > offer
as an Oracle 9i DBA (I learn Oracle9i when I have free time and > > > >
manage to get certified in 9i). I don't hate Oracle but networking is > >
> > my first choice. If I can't find anything within the next few weeks,
I > > > > would have no choice but to accept this position (it pays the
bill). > > > > I know two colleagues that I am working with. They both
have CCIEs > > > > (in the 5xxx #) and both are having problem finding
work. None of them > > > > have been able to land new jobs for the past
four months. They told > > > > me that the market is "flooded" with
networking people and it is > > > > definitely an "employers" market.
Both of these guys have at least > > > > 10 years of networking
experience and it amazes me that they are > > > > having problem find
work. > > > > > > > > To make the matter worse, even my own brother is a
CCIE and he > > > > also is having problem find work. Granted that he
only has two years > > > > of networking experience. Nevertheless, he has
been looking for > > > > work for the past 5 months and no job offer. He
is telling me the same > > > > thing that the market is "saturated" with
networking folks. He has to > > > > compete with many qualified
"unemployed" folks out there. > > > > > > > > That makes me question
myself whether if it is worth it to pursue > > > > the CCIE R&S and CCIE
Security given the market condition. These > > > > guys have years of
experiences and "certified" and are without jobs. > > > > I would have
virtually no chance with people like them even if I am > > > > CCIE
certified. They are certified too. > > > > > > > > I know that it is too
late to cancel the lab; however, this is just my > > > > personal
feeling. I am wondering if anyone out there is feeling the > > > > same
way. I would like to hear your take on this. > > > > > > > > Thanks. > >
--------------------------------- > > Do you Yahoo!? > > Yahoo! Mail Plus
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]