On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Chuck Church wrote:

|->    Don't ever listen to a sales person.  Ever!

I know I know! :)

>>What is the ratio of collisions to frames output on that interface to
the provider?

In just over an hour after a clear counters we had over 6 million
collisions on that interface.

->Cisco recommends limiting collisions to 1 out of every 1000 frames,
although 1 out of every  100 isn't bad.  If it's worse than 1 out of every
100, definitely get them to make it full duplex.

I finally got a 2nd level tech on the phone (on a Saturday to boot!) and
he explained that a lot of their older gear at the edges that connected to
their ATM network only did half duplex. He said they have replaced a lot
of it with Catalyst switches now and was able to get them to change their
port to full so I was able to do ours as well.

->Frames queueing up on this interface could be causing problems with the
others. Definitely turn on CEF.

I"m just reading up on CEF but one question I have not been able to answer
is as we use ip route-cache policy on each interface that has policy
routing on it, is CEF better than route-cache? Do I turn off route-cache
policy when enabling CEF? Or is route-cache the same as CEF?

->If they want to limit your network speed it should occur on their
interface to their own equipment, not yours.  NBAR (Network Based
Application Recognition)
is available on 12.2 and does a lot of what Packeteer can do.  Assuming
you've got adequate
memory (do a 'sh mem', check how much is free), I'd bump up both the buffers
a bit and the

Weve got lots of free ram in this machine:

Free(b)
77066644

And it is time to upgrade the IOS on this router as its quite aged now and
if we can some QoS going on the router to reduce BW usage w/o spending $$$
that would be a good thing.

->queues on the interfaces.  Shouldn't be too much more CPU load.
Do 200/300 per/max for small buffers, 100/150 for middle, and 75/150 for
big.
Double the size of the interface queues that have drops.  Go with this for a
day,
and see how it looks.  Also, do a 'sh int stat' to see the ratio of process
to fast switched

Once I saw the sh buffers output that was definatly something I was going
to look at doing.

Switching path    Pkts In   Chars In   Pkts Out  Chars Out
               Processor     427523   34346537     459921   37685715
             Route cache   24310556 1194108464   25167481 1606868914
                     PXF          0          0          0          0
                   Total   24738079 1228455001   25627403 1644556109

This is what that faste int shows now. Would CEF improve upon this?

|->Chuck Church
|->CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE

thanks very much Chuck.
Keith