""pauldongso""  wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> come across this scenario:
>
> Switch A --------------------- switch B
> (vtp wally)   trunk           (vtp world)
>      |                             |
>      |                             |
>     PC 1                         PC 2
> (vlan 2,name access)     (vlan 2, name access)
>   ip 10.0.0.1 ip 10.0.0.2
>
> 1. pc 1 is able to ping pc2.
> 2. when vlan 2 in switch A change name to be access-new,
>     will PC 1 still be able to ping PC2? will the vlan name
>     take any effect?

CL: assuming all switches are vtp server, the answer is that the name change
becomes universal, so there is no effect.

CL: sorry, but I am unable to provide an empirical answer regarding vtp
transparent. the theoretical answer is there would be no effect if the same
vlan number were to have two different names on two different switches.
there is no place in the 802.1 header for a vlan name. all that matters is
the number.