James,

Just to add a bit to what others have said, if your friend is cost
constrained, going open source ala OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc will no
doubt be the cheapest in terms of immediate cost.  An additional option is
the Cisco firewall feature set, it may require your friend to purchase
additional software from Cisco, which would be more expensive than the open
source option.  I agree completely with others, having some sort of
firewall in place is the _minimum_ required for any business to connect to
the Internet.  Not having at least a firewall borders on criminal
facilitation and in the very near future we are going to start seeing
companies held liable for not exercising due diligence with regard to basic
security measures if they're sites are used to attack other sites.

Having said this, unless your friend knows specifically what they are
doing, putting a firewall in place may not help. They may configure it
incorrectly or the server may have been compromised through "legitimate"
traffic such as an IIS exploit.  If the server is being used as the
companies web server, putting a firewall in place might not help, they'll
have to apply appropriate patches to the server or it will just be
compromised again.

My advice to your friend is to buy a good book on implementing network
security soup to nuts including writing policies, securing perimeters,
etc.  It may seem like overkill for such a small network, but someone who
doesn't understand the big picture is bound to end up leaving holes that
will be exploited later.  One book I've seen that looks good in the regard
is "Inside network perimeter security" by Northcutt:

In the meantime I would suggest your friend do the following:

1) Put a filter on his router blocking everything excepted necessary
services, guidelines are on CCO in this regard or they can check out phrack
issue 55:
2) Make sure both clients and server have the most current patch levels
3) Disable any services that are not required on the server, there is
information on how to do this all over the web
4) Get a syslog server and log any denied packets from the router to the
syslog server.  There are syslog daemons available for Windows that can be
used for a limited time for free.  Syslog is standard on any Unix-like
platform.

Your friend can do these measures right now for no cost and minimal
effort.  Then they can research installing a firewall and read up on
additional prudent security measures.

A couple of good sites that might also help:

http://www.infosyssec.net/
http://www.cisecurity.org/
http://www.sans.org/newlook/home.php

HTH,