The 2950 is a switch, i.e a Layer-2 device. For its normal operations, it
doesn't care about ARP, which maps L3 to L2 addresses.

So to troubleshoot your problem, consider what the switch is doing that is
related to Layer 3 and above. Does it do network management, ping, Telnet?

What does the switch use for a default gateway when it does these
upper-layer functions? Is that default gateway router doing Proxy ARP and
replying with its MAC address for devices on the other side of it?

What are the MAC and IP addresses in this mysterious ARP cache that you are
worried about? With some knowledge or your addressing scheme, you should be
able to figure out what's going on.

Priscilla