All,

First, thank you for all who replied! I appreciate the help.

To summarize public and private responses, let me first point out there are
likely several solutions to my problem. I am posting the one that I am most
familiar with.

nei Client_AS remote-as 18687
nei Client_AS version 4
nei Client_AS soft-reconfiguration inbound
nei Client_AS password 7 $$$$$$
nei Client_AS filter-list 4 in
nei Client_AS filter-list 4 out
nei Client_AS advertise-map MAP1 non-exist-map MAP2

route-map MAP1 permit 10
match as-path 5
route-map MAP2 permit 20
match as-path 6

ip as-path access-list 4 permit ^$
ip as-path access-list 5 permit ^16631_
ip as-path access-list 6 permit ^701_

To answer the questions I had posted...
A filter list command will take precedence over an advertise list. In this
case the filter-list would have made a permit every time (.*) and never
applied the advertise-map.
I changed the filter-list out command to be my own AS. This will force the
application of the advertise-map for other As-paths that are not originated
by me.

The route map can (of course) use as-paths instead of prefix's.
Thank you Fabrice for the help on the correct regexp's!

There may be more then one way to skin this cat but this falss closely to
what I understand and it will work.

thanks again,
Jim