Hi,

I recently took the CCIE written. I didn't pass, but I really wasn't
expecting to. I missed it by 6 points. A while back when the beta was
running, I was just getting ready to begin studying for the written when I
found out the beta was on. I found out about the beta on a Wed. and the beta
run ended on that Friday. So to evaluate myself, I paid the 50 bucks and
took the test with no study. I missed it by about 6 points then as well. I
thought, considering my level, at the time, it was not too bad and
definately attainable.

I had to put my study off for a while after the beta attempt because of a
project I had to get up to speed on and then recently started studying. I
studied for a few weeks then took it to re-evaluated where I stand now.

I saw on the board some people complaining about questions being too product
specific. I saw little to no types of those questions. My test was mainly
theory and heavy configuration and troubleshooting questions. Yes, some of
the test is a test of your memory but what test isn't? Is there a test that
exists that to some degree does not test your memory?  And, yes, some of the
information tested is sort of trivial in aspect, but the ultimate goal is
not to pass the exam but to pass the lab. While studying the technologies
for the written, studying that "trivial" information, you pick up alot of
things you didn't know, or things you once knew but forgot. I think the
better you do on the written the better you'll do on the lab. Not to say
that a good score on the written will guarantee a passing lab attempt at
all. But I think the more you study for your written, you will be all that
much more prepared to study for your lab.

I think I'm in pretty good shape. I have no pressure to pass as far as money
goes when taking the tests, because my GI Bill will pay for all written and
lab attempts, pass or fail. Plus I teach Cisco stuff during the day on 5
racks that Cisco donated to the college. So even when I'm not studying, I
am. Plus the network I work on at my regular job has about 30,000+ Cisco
devices. So I think all these "pluses" will equal a CCIE R&S cert one of
these days.  If not I will be dissapointed in myself. But I'm pretty
confident right now.

I noticed someone else mention that a down-side of the exam is that someone
could take the written as many times as they wanted until eventually
passing. I could do that, but I don't want to waste my money. I'm not going
to attempt it again until I think I've picked up about 20 points. Although
my GI Bill will pay for my tests and lab, I have finite funds and I want to
save my money for the labs. But I don't think that just because that you can
take the test as often as you like will cause the market to be flooded with
CCIE's. Most people are persueing the CCIE cert because of money: they want
more. People have fininte funds. It's not too bad to take the test several
times but when you give the lab several pops that adds up. I'll bet there
are alot of folks out there that have given up because of the money it would
take them or because they have already spent too much money on their failed
attempts.  There are probably many, many more people that don't have the
funds to take the test and lab as many times as they want, than people that
have the money to take them over and over again until they pass. So, I don't
think that it's an issue.

Just a comparison note between the beta and the current exam, the current
exam seemed much harder.

Anyway, that's all I have to say this go 'round. Besides it's time to hit
the books. ;).

Thanks,

Karl.