> A loop could exist at the physical layer too. A newbie could connect the
> hubs in such a way that there was a loop. And it could indeed cause
problems

heh... I just did this last weekend at a local high school i volunteer at
sometimes, and I've been doing this a while.  The hubs were old and didn't
have any error detection/avoidance circuitry, so it took me a minute to
figure out what had happened...

While we're on the topic of physical ethernet design, don't forget the 5/4/3
rule for 10Mbps.  Also, IIRC, the 100Mbps spec requires not more than 2
>100m segments between layer 3 devices.  Anyone remember the details?

 -sd