Thanks everyone for your advices and input.  Checkpoint license, maintenance
and
support are very expensive.  We also host web services in-house and based on
my research and if I understand it correctly, Pix performance is excellent.
On a similarly related topic, I am studying for my Cisco CSS-1 cert.  I have
a "franken" pix firewall running on a 350Mhz PII CPU with 512MB of RAM on a
16MB ISA flash.  I know that Cisco Pix 525 is a PIII 700Mhz processor and it
supports Gigabit interface.  I would like to stress test the franken pix
that I have
in the lab to see how much web, smtp, ftp and streaming video it can handle.
The
OS it is using is 6.2(2) with PDM 2.1(1).  My company is looking at
purchasing
at the Pix525.  However, my boss asks for my opinion for this before
purchasing
the hardware.
I know that the motherboard on the "franken" pix supports CPUs between
233Mhz
and up to 850Mhz.  Before rushing to the web and purchasing a P3 700Mhz CPU,
I would like to know if anyone has successfully running the franken pix on a
700Mhz
or higher CPU.  I actually tried it with a 550Mhz slot 1 CPU and the franken
pix did
actually work for about 30 minutes before locking up due to no CPU fan.
Will it work with a 700Mhz CPU?  Thanks.
Eric

 Justin Menga  wrote:Hi,

A) No
B) No

Work arounds are to do this on a separate Cisco router - e.g. Border router
perhaps. Cisco routers have good QoS, and also have a rotary NAT feature
that load balances incoming packets sent to a global IP to multiple private
Ips. This feature however is very simple and is nowhere near the
capabilities of HTTP load balancing on Check Point (NG at least). There is
also a server load balancing feature in some Cisco routers, not familiar
with this though.

I'd say keep the Check Point - why are you pushing it out? Maintenance
expired?

Regards,
Justin