Since we're just throwing out our thoughts here...

I tend to disagree, following your logic, if the IP network
becomes such a commodity, I think this would just create more
jobs for people like us, I mean R/S guys. You seem to think that once the IP
network
is used for the services such as Voice, the Voice people
will have taken the jobs. This may be so to some degree. But from the
last few years of my experience, I doubt there will be a data network
acting as reliably as PSTN any time soon - as you mention about
broadband. For this reason, I think R/S folks with few extra skills
will still be in demand for the telcos, someone has to keep on making
this thing work, fixing, upgrading, estimating, reporting, understanding
data networks, etc.

I agree that VOIP on the Net will not change how the telcos work.
It's one thing to have a customer use the Internet for placing calls,
the customer's expectations are already set low, knowing the Quality will
not be as great. But when you pick up the receiver at home, you expect
current quality, no delays, no noise, no whatever. Internet is simply too
unpredictable for Carrier class Voice.

""nrf""  wrote in message
> ""The Long and Winding Road""  wrote in
> message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > right up NRF's alley. Certainly for those considering their futures,
> > something worth considering as part of the mix.
> >
> > http://cookreport.com/11.10.shtml
> >
> > Can't afford the un-snipped version right now, but since I work for a
> telco,
> > and I recognize the issues described, and have read all the top
corporate
> > executive e-mails that are doled out to us worker bees, I enjoyed the
> > counter arguments presented here.
>
> There are two parts to this report that I think bear mentioning.  One is
the
> future of VoIP.  The other is the value (or lack thereof) of present
> broadband rollouts.
>
> VoIP is certainly transforming the way that the PSTN will operate, if
slowly
> (very very slowly).  Note, I didn't say voice over the Internet, but
rather
> voice over IP.  I believe, for numerous reasons, telcos will choose not to
> merge their phone services to the Internet, but will rather build out an
IP