> CL: OTOH, there are plenty of guys driving around in their trucks doing
just
> that. I don't know the typical annual income for Joe the plumber or Bill
the
> electrician ( and just so the PC people don't get on my case, I have yet
> meet Mary or Jill in those lines of business ) but I believe there are
more
> of them today than there were a decade ago. In other words, the downwards
> pressure on salaries will continue longer term.

Again, I didn't say that there would be no demand for plain-vanilla
networking people, I said there would be less.  Just like there still is
demand for electricians and plumbers - but it's not like every company needs
one (or several) on staff.

Rather, I think the electrician/plumber model will be what networking will
turn into.    Landlords might have a few of these guys to handle all their
properties (where they can amortize the salaries across their various
real-estate holdings).  But small to medium sized company won't have anybody
on staff - when something breaks, they'll just whip out the Yellow Pages and
'call the IP guy'.   This is a far cry from today when most companies of any
size need a network guy.  Net effect - less total jobs for networking.