nrf wrote:

> I would just add that many times (actually, more often than not,
predictions
> actually turn out to be correct).

We could trade predictions forever :-) What about the bloke who said
nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM?  He still got rich.

> And even for those jobs that didn't
> decline, there was significant change in what they did.  Mechanics can't
> just know how to fix carburetors, now they have to understand
> fuel-injection.

Definitely.  Janitors now use vacuum-cleaners as well as brooms.
Telephone operators now use keyboards, not patchcords.  Networkers will
need to know more than just layers 2 and 3.  But there will be a
continued demand for R/S as part of the networkers job.

Another point is that bandwidth is not necessarily cheap all over the
world, Europe is more expensive than the US, and Asia even worse, so
engineering is required, in fact surely "traffic engineering" is all the
rage at the moment.

I guess what I want to say is that when an economy is booming, people
unrealistically believe it's forever and they will be millionaires by
next June.  Conversely when the economy is in a trough then people get
gloomy and believe that they'll never pay off their credit card bills.
Neither view is realistic.  R/S is not dead, it's sleeping and will wake
up.  Granted there will not be the insane rush into network builds that
we saw a few years ago but the wireless boom is around the corner....

rgds
Marc