At 4:37 PM +0000 12/19/02, steve wrote:
>hello,
>
>indeed a large problem ....
>
>the need for a hierarchical routing protocol ,that is effectively flat...
>
>i think that is impossible for the internet to ever really converge ...if it
>did it would indicate a lack of growth or movement ....which would not be
>good for my job prospects !
>
>i think that the industry needs more focus in this ,

There is are two requirements teams in the IRTF, and I'm a coauthor
of one of the "team b" document,
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf-announce/Current/msg16909.html

I've coauthored another draft that is more basic in terms of
establishing vocabulary.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eriksson-rabbit-00.txt

>i believe that for all intense and purposes`s the ip address is dead....
>having a ip address limit`s your flexibility ,and any future expansion is
>dictated by it ..we need to find a way of doing something like this ( i
>DREAD writing this)
>
>fixed domain name
>
>i,e www.steve.com
>
>Multiprocessing routers
>
>and .......
>
>a Dynamic address of some format (a la` DHCP).....eek dhcp .....i dread it

IPv6 significantly improves dynamic addressing, especially the
optional protocol that sends high-level prefix information to
routers. The biggest problem remains multihoming.

>but in order for us to achieve what the customer`s are driving for ,it`s
>probably the only real way to give people the flexibilty the need and want
>
>i think it may be time for the industry to start driving the customer
>....and not the other way around...dynamic addressing can be done ,but do we
>WANT to do it .......i`m not sure that it wouldn't`t cause more problems
>than it solve`s....

One of the problems is that customers don't WANT to have to
reconfigure anything.  I'll point to such things as US telephone area
code reassignments to show that sometimes technical requirements
force the user into certain things, not the other way around.