Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> It's a fast Ethernet trunk, actually. I forgot to mention that. He does
have
> some internal servers. Do you think in and out of a Fast Ethernet trunk
will
> be less of a problem?

The 2600 might be.

> He had a broadcast meltdown last week. Perhaps that's why he's concerned.
He
> was using ghosting software.

Symantec Ghost will kill a 2600, 4500, and RSP1 by itself if it is
multicasting (which it should be, not broadcasting) and you are doing
multicast routing (pim-sparse or pim-dense) and sometimes even when
you disable MR.  I know this from the school of hard knocks - you will
have CPU starvation with a 100Mbps-capable LAN (maybe not at 10Mb, but
then you would saturate the net).  A 7200/NPE-300 can handle it nicely.

DHCP isn't much of a problem, but when you enable the ip helper-address
be sure to selectively disable (no ip forward-protocol) everything else
you don't need (DNS, TFTP, NetBIOS, etc).

Jeff