I take your post to mean that you hold down the ctrl+shift+6 keys together
then release them and then hit the "x" key. I'm assuming that you do reach
the intended router from the terminal server - just that you can't return to
the terminal server.
I've had that happen a few times where nothing seems to happen. If I hit
enter then I'm back at the router prompt. If I try it several times it
eventually works.
I just experimented with a lab setup - it works. Here's the config:
hostname Term_srv
!
no ip domain-lookup
ip host r1 2001 1.1.1.1