bergenpeak wrote:

> Reading Doyle's V1 book.  Page 195 mentions that when an update
> with a
> hop count higher than that in the routing table is received for
> a route,
> the route will go into holddown for 180 [sic] seconds (three
> update
> periods).

That's to avoid the count-to-infinity problem. If the hop count increases,
it's often an indication that count-to-infinity is happening and the other
methods for avoiding it, such as split horizon and triggered updates with
poisoned routes, failed. I thought Cisco's RIP did this, but I may have
gotten it from Doyle or confused it with IGRP. Do you have a method for
testing it? It's one of those things you may not find authoritative
documenation on.

Doyle's book has an errata at Cisco Press but it only mentioned 2 errors
(neither of which are related to this question).

> In the cisco page (below) for the "timers basic" command, the
> page
> states that "...A route enters into a holddown state when an
> update
> packet is received that indicates the route is unreachable. The
> route
> is marked inaccessible and advertised as unreachable..."

That's probably true. It's not mutually exclusive with the above. I think a
route enters into holddown when the local interface fails too, and that's
not mentioned either.

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_summary_chapter09186a00800eeae6.html