Many thx all for the comprehensive answers :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 30 December 2002 18:50
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: STP and CDP Ethernet Frames use 802.3 format - Why [7:59956]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anyone explain the above and why they do not use the Ethernet_II
> format?

STP comes from IEEE as does 802.3. It would have been politically messy for
IEEE to ask the DIX consortium for an EtherType when they were busy
obsoleteing the DEC/Intel/Xerox (DIX) Ethernet standard, with help, of
course, from DEC, Intel, and Xerox.

Also, the industry thought Ethernet II would go away, just like we thought
TCP/IP would be replaced by OSI. We were wrong, of course. It refused to die
because IP uses it. Newer protocols don't use it though.

802.3 is considered somewhat superior because it has a length field, which
Ethernet II does not have. With Ethernet, the chipset doesn't know it's hit
the end of the frame until it hears silence.

CDP actually uses 802.3 with 802.2 and SNAP. By the time CDP came out, the
IEEE was no longer assigning 802.2 Service Access Points (SAPs). It's a
one-byte field, so they were worried about running out. So newer protocol
use a SNAP SAP (0xAA) and withing the SNAP header include a two-byte type
field.

Priscilla