From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 12:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: help!!!!! [7:60061]

Vicuna, Mark wrote:

> it is the dsap mac (cannocial) of the end hosts are pointing to
> (one of
> the redundant router(s)).
>
> hth,
> Mark.

I don't think it has anything to do with Destination Service Access
Points
(DSAPs).

Neither of those. It's an address that you make up, (making sure it fits
any
addressing schemes you might have and isn't a duplicate of anything
else, of
course). It is the address that the router uses for the real destination
MAC
address when an end station sends a TEST frame to a host or other
destination. In other words, it is the address that the router is
mapping
the real destination MAC address to. See here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ibsw/ibdlsw/prodlit/dls12_rg.htm

This entire feature is a conglomeration of awful technologies that would
have maybe worked despite their complexity, if we hadn't upgraded from
hubs
to swithces. The problem with switches is that they remember where MAC
addresses are and get confused by redundant routers in a DLSw+
environment.
To avoid problems, the redundant routers map the destination address to
unique addresses that you configure. Unless you really need this feature
(or
have to learn it for CCIE for some bizarre reason), I would definitely
stay
clear of it! :-)

Priscilla