At 3:16 PM +0000 1/3/03, " JunoGuy " wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>   I was wanting to hear from you as to what you guys see as some up and
>coming
>technologies and perhaps what are some players in that space.  Thanks.
>
>JunoGuy

I have to ask what time frame you have in mind, and whether or not
you want to limit to the discussion to commercial products that are
shipping -- as opposed to getting in more on the ground floor of
unsolved problems.

For example, there is a very real and unsolved problem of global
Internet routing stability and scalability.  No one really has an
answer, although some of the problem space is being defined in the
IRTF. The IETF PTOMAINE Working Group is dealing with short-term
fixes that you may very well see in product.

I see GMPLS as a very important way to provide a consistent IP
interface to an assortment of transmission system, both packet and
non-packet oriented.

Storage area networking is entering the market. I'd comment that it
is being treated as somewhat of a technology island.  The more one
thinks of how a storage router is architecturally similar to a
high-end carrier router, the better one understands the problem.
Content networking will also be intimately involved here, and he or
she that can relate the various technologies is at an advantage.

Survivablility and security - not quite the same thing - are very big
issues.  One of the problems in deploying solutions, I believe, is
much more design and understanding than the physical products.  My
colleague Annlee Hines has written "Planning for Survivable
Networks," which gives an excellent view at a level many people don't
think of.  It's worth listening to a person that was first thrown out
of her chair by a terrorist attack, over 20 years ago.

Another aspect of security is that it is far too difficult to manage
and use.  Now, I'm not suggesting that there is only one technology
for security.  A firewall is not a SSL proxy is not an IDS is not a
PKI server...  But how to make these usable for Joe User is a real
challenge.

Multimedia/voice/whatever is making rapid inroads. Cisco has a
certain number of applications in this area, but they are often
middleware on which third-party, industry-specific solutions will be
built.  Those third-party applications will be important.