Pls see inline text for answers.

regds
Hitesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 4:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Catalyst 6xxx switches and 2 firewall in clust [7:60235]

Can you help us understand the situation better? Thanks.
See some questions inline.

l0stbyte wrote:

> Hitesh Pathak R wrote:
>
> > Dear Group,
> >
> > Need your help in setting up the following :-
> >
> > SETUP :- There are 2 core switches SW1 & Sw2 (connected back
> to back with
> > both
> > the SUP GE ports Fiber uplink (Channeld and trunk). On one of
> the switch
> > (SW1)
> > I have 2 firewalls connected in cluster mode. For this
> clustered
> > firewall  I
> > have bind the multicast mac address on the switch SW1 as the
> recommended
> > method by the firewall vendor by the command (set cam
> permanent ).

On SW1, you have a permanent cam entry for the multicast address used by the
firewall cluster? Why? How is that permanent entry used and why is it
necessary? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I think it will help us
understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Ans :- I don't have much idea about the firewall config but what I was told
by
the firewall guy that When you configure the dual firewall is HA mode (High
availability) it generates a common MAC address for both the firewall so that
both can be reached via single mac address (something similar to HSRP ). The
actual mac address on that port is not getting learned by the switch. Also
one
static  ARP entry is added on MSFC for mapping this MAC and the virtual
firewall IP address.

> > Now the problem faced here is since they have only bind the
> mac
> > address to 2
> > ports on SW1 (switch one ONLY) there seems to be some
> multicast packets
> > flooding on my  second core switch SW2 for that multicast
> address.

Switches flood multicasts by default. So it makes sense that the multicast
is flowing over to SW2 also.

> > The customer wants to stop this broadcast from hapening on
> 2nd switch
> > SW2 and
> > hence wants to bind the same multicast mac address on the 2nd
> Switch
> > with the
> > trunk ports going to SW1 from SW2.

The multicast will come across the trunk, so you should be able to put a
permanent cam entry mapping the multicast address to the trunk port. But
what problem will that solve? Are you trying to stop the multicast from
flowing out the other ports on SW2? How does a permanent cam entry help with
that?

ANS :- At present the servers connected to my 2nd core switch are not able to
reach to that multicast mac address and so as the broadcast. I even looked in
to the cam table on the 2nd switch to see if that shows the cam entry but
couldn't find it.

Maybe you should look into CGMP or IGMP snooping. They can stop multicasts
on switches, if the applications send IGMP joins.

Anyone else have any suggestions or understand his situation?

Priscilla