Money is helpful, but the only power I want is some power over my own
destiny, which is asking quite a lot as it is.

With the CCIE, it sometimes possible to find a job that involves studying
network technologies, experimenting with cool equipment in the lab, teaching
other folks what you have learned, consulting with folks about network
issues, doing some installation work, some troubleshooting work, and talking
to prospective customers about neat cutting edge network security devices.

It is pretty fun work, and most of the time (in my company, anyway) it
involves considerably less stress and pressure than some of the more
high-flying corporate jobs that nrf is thinking of.

I am not saying that this is the experience of anyone else, but it is my
life now.  I love it, and learning what I needed to learn to pass the CCIE
lab made it possible.

Tom Larus