WAN compression usually compresses the data payload. The HDLC sequence
numbers are not in data packets; they are in keepalive packets. They are in
the control plane, not the user plane.

I can't say for sure, but my guess is that they are not compressed. If they
were, the interfaces wouldn't have a way to monitor the status of the link.
What does Cisco documentation say? Sorry I'm in a rush and can't look it up.

Good question! Thanks for returning the forum to something meaningfull.

Priscilla