mlehr wrote:

> I have studied for and successfully tested CCNA & CCNP and now
> I am studying
> for the CCIE written exam. At this point in my studies, I am
> reading up on
> the subject of Bridging.  I fully understand the concept of
> bridging when it
> comes to switches, but I am perplexed as to why a router would
> need to
> perform a bridging function.  Obviously bridging capabilities
> are built into
> the routers IOS but what need would prompted anyone to use this
> feature.  In
> the other studies Bridging was not a covered subject so this is
> new
> territory for me.

Just to give you a specific example that builds on Priscilla's reply:

This past summer I had a client who had hired me to do the WAN stuff for an
international network and another contractor to install some telephone
switches.  The switches were to be managed via an out-of-band IP network.
The folks back at the factory had configured every one of the switch
management IPs to be in the same subnet.  Problem was, no one could figure
out how to change the IPs in the field and extensive documentation and
training material had already been produced.  So I saved the day by
eliminating the static routes and setting up a bridge group (don't ask how
the change in router configs affected the documentation -- I didn't ask and
no one fessed up).  So it's sometimes an unintentional patch.  What's more,
even if they had done this on purpose, I don't think Cisco sells bridges
anymore.  So a router with a bridge group still would have been required.