At 11:21 PM +0000 1/8/03, Helena wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Are you allowed to have more than one ABR for a particular area?  For
>example, 2 routers that are both ABR for Area 2?

Yes. In fact, you could have (trust me that there's a link between
the parts of  area 3 serviced by R1 and R4 --it would be too painful
to draw this in ASCII

         R1        R2                 R3                R4
  area 3 + area 1  area 1 + area 2    area 2 + area 3   area 3 + area 1

Cisco's conservative rule is not more than 3 areas per ABR, although
I've never found a reference that made it clear whether they are
counting area 0.0.0.0 in that.  I've certainly had carefully chosen
situations where I had an ABR servicing seven nonzero areas, with
extensive summarization and very stable physical plants.