I've found that it's useful to have a variety of kit, and as many
routers as possible.  Cisco prices on eBay have fallen through the
floor.  A 4000 series with NP-4Ts is a good frame switch. 2500 are good
workhorses, best to get one with an ISDN BRI (I didn't and regretted
it).  Once you have a couple of ethernet-based routers, don't discount
token-ring 2500s if they are cheap or any 3000 series router.  3000s are
ludicrously cheap at the moment and can run 2500 IOS 12.0 images.  Don't
buy multiple 2600s unless you're rich. Two 12-port switches allows
better practise that one 24-port.
rgds
Marc