follow-up based on an offline conversation I've been having with someone.
parts edited because I don't know if the sender would want his name
associated with my ignorance.

well, you know, you're probably right. the receiving end would be the only
place where the decision could be made as to how to interpret what is in the
network field.

interface = 22.1.1.5/24

other routers have interface with:
22.17.1.4.24
193.1.1.4/32
22.1.1.3/32

network field                   routing table
contains                          interprets
-------------------              ---------------------
22.17.1.?                        22.17.1.0/24
193.1.1.1                        193.1.1.0/24
22.1.1.3                            22.1.1.3

Us poor folk don't have sniffers to verify, but I am guessing that on the
sending side, the RIP process places a value that makes sense based on the
address and mask of the interface. 22.17.1.0 for example.

Then on the receiving side, the RIP process looks at the value, and
interprets it based on the mask of the matching interface if the value falls
within the classful boundary, or summarizes at the classful boundary if the
value in the network field does not fall within the classful boundary.

So I get what you're saying. I have never really thought about it,
concentrating rather on the desired result rather than the actual operation.

Chuck

Sent: Saturday, 11 January, 2003 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: RIP1

> Thanks for the additional info.
>
> My point of view was inspired by the lack of a place in the packet to
specify host, the lack of a method to distinguish a host in the spec itself,
and the fact that inference of proper class is made by the receiving end in
the customary fashion (them first three bits of the leftmost decimal octet).
What this output further leads me to conjecture is that it's operating on
the rightmost decimal octet to distinguish between hosts and networks, and
that the work is still being done by the receiver.

> I only raised the point because the original question specified both
advertising and receiving rip and separated the two cases.