From: Symon Thurlow
Sent: 13 January 2003 01:57
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Learning PIX [7:60919]

Hi guys,

I have begun to study the PIX. I have had exposure to them recently,
through a couple of 515e's, and had no problem configuring them (with
PDM...). I have plenty of Firewall experience, but very little with PIX.

I now have a 520 with a 2MB flash card that I am using for study. This
machine came with the 5.1(2) code, so no PDM. This is good, as I want to
learn to configure and troubleshoot them via command line anyway.

I am following a Cisco Press PIX book, just to cut my teeth and start to
learn the commands. I have 3 interfaces in the 520.

I have created a very simple configuration, that should allow anyone
internally to get access to the Internet, globally nating to one valid
address. I want to get this working before getting in to more detail.

When I try to gain access to the Internet through the PIX, it does not
work. I have put a packet sniffer on the external segment and can not
see any traffic coming from the PIX. If I do a show xlate I see nothing.
I am sending debug info to a SYSLOG server, but again see nothing
(except for when I wr mem etc).

I have pasted the config below, can any of you see where I might be
going wrong. I have tried a few different ways to make this happen, even
copying sample configs from CCO, but I can't seem to make it work.

I am not looking for the answer, more a helping hand to point me in the
right direction.

Cheers,

Symon

PIX Version 5.1(2)
nameif ethernet0 outside security0
nameif ethernet1 inside security100
nameif ethernet2 DMZ security50
enable password xxxxx
passwd xxxxx
hostname PIX1E
fixup protocol ftp 21
fixup protocol http 80
fixup protocol h323 1720
fixup protocol rsh 514
fixup protocol smtp 25
fixup protocol sqlnet 1521
names
pager lines 24
logging on
logging timestamp
no logging standby
logging console debugging
logging monitor debugging
logging buffered debugging
logging trap debugging
logging history debugging
logging facility 20
logging queue 512
logging host inside 172.16.1.56
interface ethernet0 auto
interface ethernet1 auto
interface ethernet2 auto shutdown
mtu outside 1500
mtu inside 1500
mtu DMZ 1500
ip address outside 217.204.228.199 255.255.255.240
ip address inside 172.16.1.151 255.255.255.0
ip address DMZ 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255
no failover
failover timeout 0:00:00
failover ip address outside 0.0.0.0
failover ip address inside 0.0.0.0
failover ip address DMZ 0.0.0.0
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 217.204.228.201
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 217.204.228.193 1
timeout xlate 3:00:00 conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00
timeout rpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+ aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius no
snmp-server location no snmp-server contact snmp-server community public
no snmp-server enable traps floodguard enable isakmp identity hostname
telnet 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside telnet 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0
DMZ telnet timeout 15 terminal width 80
Cryptochecksum:a83be0bed7aa987b7341550e07870a51

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.