From: The Long and Winding Road
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 11:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The effect of NAT on an interface [7:61178]

it's happened twice now, and the policy routing was removed from the
interface, so I'm thinking the problem has to be the NAT configuration

The problem: remote configuration of a router.

Circumstances: remove poorly constructed access-lists. replace them with
better constructed access-lists that are also in conformance with a
system
wide standard numbering convention. Change the route maps to reflect
these
new access-lists. one access-list determines whether or not a host on
the
inside can obtain a NAT translation. the other control policy routing
inbound on the WAN interface.

The process:

1) remove policy routing from the distant end WAN interface

2) delete old access-lists

3) delete old route-maps

4) paste in new access-lists

5) paste in the new route-maps

at this point I lose connection with the router.

I presume that because policy routing was disabled ( no ip policy
route-map
etc ) and the router was reloaded before step 2 was taken, that the
problem
is not with policy routing denying my own access.

That leaves NAT. The ip nat outside configured on the WAN link of the
remote
router was in place.

Now I'm racking my brains about this, because I have 9 other sites
identically configured, and I configured them remotely, and life was
good.

Well, I guess I'll be visiting a client site in the morning.
sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"