Everyone,

I'm in the process of changing my internal IP addresses and ran into a
problem on the first site I went to swap. Clients obtain their ip from a
dhcp server at my location, so I added a secondary ip address to the remote
router as shown below:

interface Ethernet0
 ip address 172.16.x.x 255.255.255.128
 ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 secondary
 ip helper-address 172.16.x.x

Got everything else set up, yet no one was obtaining IP addresses. I
flip-flopped the addresses and made the old 172.x.x.x address the secondary,
the 10.x.x.x address the primary and everything started working fine.

Does ip helper only work with primary address on the interface? This
particular router had an older version of code, 11.1.

Just curious,

Kristina L. Waters
LAN/WAN Engineer
www.absfirst.com

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were
to success when they gave up."
Thomas A. Edison

the sender by email, delete and destroy this message and its
attachments.