Johan Bornman wrote:

> Priscilla and the rest of the group,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> No, I don't want to prioritize ICMP, my mistake, only telnet
> traffic.
>
> More questions though.
> 1. Do I have to add the "priority-list 1 protocol ip high tcp
> telnet" on both sides of the link as

Where are the clients and where are the servers? The clients will send from
an ephemeral port number to port 23, the Telnet port. Their traffic will
definitely hit that priority-list.

Now we enter into the realm of poor documentation to answer the question
about traffic coming from the server. Traffic from the server will use a
source port of 23 and go back to the client's ephemeral port. Will that
traffic also hit the prioirty list? Hopefully the answer is yes, but I have
never found a definite word on this. Anyone know? Does a prioirty list look
at traffic both to and from the port number specified?

If yes, then add the command on both ends. Probably do it anyway for testing
purposes since we may not get an answer to the question above. (There
doesn't seem to be any way to test it since the show queu commands are so
useless.)

> the telnet connection will go through the Internet. I am at
> this stage not sure on which side the
> bottle neck is?

The bottleneck may very well be the Internet. Telnet over the Internet with
all it variable delay doesn't seem like a good idea for a mission-critical
application (if it is mission-critical?)

But you should put a protocol analyzer on it and determine if this is the
case. The delay could very well be the application too. What is Telnet
getting used for?

With an analyzer you can see where in the flow of packets the delays are
actually occuring.

> 2. Will creating a tunnel (interface Tunnel0) maybe improve
> performance if I change the routing for
> the destination address to go via the tunnel?

I doubt that a tunnel would help, though I may not understand what you have
in mind. The extra encapsulation required to tunnel will slow router
processing down. Also, where does the tunnel go? Doesn't it cross the
Internet too?

Well, good luck with it. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com