. wrote:

> Is there any differnce between smart serial and hssi (high
> speed serial
> interface) or are they one and the same as far as hardware
> connectors go.
>
> thank you

They are not one and the same.  The HSSI interface is mechanically identical
to the SCSI2 connector, which is a couple of inches wide.  The newer Smart
Serial is a very compact little dude that you find on the WIC series of
interfaces.  I though Smart Serial was Cisco-proprietary, but I understand a
few others are using it as well.  I've never been able to find any kind of
spec on it.

As far as I know, the Smart Serial has only been used by Cisco for
lower-speed interfaces (up to E1) whereas the HSSI goes up to around 50 Mbps.