""dayo olabisi""  wrote in message ...
> does anyone know the technical difference between the
> ws-x6148-rj-45 and ws-x6348-rj-45 modules for the
> cat6500 switches?
>
> the price difference is very significant though the
> documentation on Cisco's web site doesn't show any
> technical difference.

wx-x6148-rj-45 is a replacement for the ws-x6348-rj-45.
they have identical functionality, but the 6148 uses newer,
better (and yes, cheaper) parts.  innovation.

if you don't believe me, then why do the Cat6k bundles ship
with ws-x6148's instead of 6348's or 6248's?

the primary difference is that the ws-x6148-rj-45 can be
UPGRADED to voice... while the ws-x6148-rj-45v SHIPS
with the inline power already hardwired.  the cost is _still_
significantly less than the 6248 or 6348 either way.

definitely purchase the 6148 modules (with or without voice -
whichever you need), because they have less bug issues, less
problems, work better, and are more cost-efficient.

the only other Cat6k Ehternet 10/100 module worth having
besides the 6148 series is the 6548.  the 6548 is fabric-enabled
(you'll know if you need it - and in many cases, fabric-enabled
for 10/100 ethernet is waaay overkill, normally the sfm2 is
reserved for all gigabit+ ethernet and/or osm sonet interfaces).
in sum, a 6548 module won't do you any good unless you are
already using the Cat6k Supervisor 2 module and the SFM or
SFM-2 modules.

to properly calculate ROI for such blades, you need to first
consider the following factors:

-dre