"Lupi, Guy""  wrote in message ...
> Can anyone recommend a good vendor independent book on VOIP,
> something that goes into detail on the different protocols, codecs,
> so on and so forth?  I am looking for something that takes you
> through VOIP in detail, not just basic stuff.  Thanks.

Voice-over-IP isn't really a technology, it's more of a solution
that has individual technologies surrounding it.  VoIP is more of
a term, primarily in use by Cisco, and possibly Lucent, Sprint, et al,
to describe nothing other than "Voice can be used over TCP/IP
networks, including the Internet".  It's a marketing term.

So you might not be looking for "vendor-specific" VoIP, but I
recommend that you do look for "technology-specific" VoIP.

Another popular term is "IP Telephony" (versus traditional telephony,
or TDM-only telephony), which is comparable to "VoIP".

If you were to ask any member or follower of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (The IETF organization, whose members document the
ever-evolving Internet), they would tell you that two specific
technologies are in the process of standardization and implementation:
RTP/RTSP (Real-Time [Streaming] Protocol) and SIP (Session
Initiation Protocol).  SIP is the bulk of where IP Telephony, or
VoIP, is currently heading.  Other VoIP products and solutions are
available, but they are likely to be not as robust or complete as
SIP, and also are likely to go away in 5-10 years in favor of SIP
technology.

This is the best website I've seen on SIP technology that isn't
quite as dry as reading RFC's:  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/

They make some book recommendations here:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/papers.html

The website also includes some details on other technologies in
the VoIP arena (such as H.323) and makes direct comparisons to SIP
as well as states how they can work together.  H.323 also interfaces
to TCP/IP with RTP/RTSP (needs to have glue somewhere), so it does
all go back to the IETF and vendor implementations fall in suit.

Clearly, SIP, MGCP, and H.323 will all still rely on SS7 to access
the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network), but SIP (et al) can
also act as standalone networks.  SS7 and the PSTN are likely to
stay the way they are for quite some time, but as an end-user, your
voice equipment and technology can be optimized (cheaper, better,
faster, more scalable) today.

-dre